Design-Build is a project-delivery process in which a team of designers and contractors are responsible for a project's design, right-of-way acquisition, construction, and other aspects. The method reduces overall construction time, helps NCDOT avoid cost inflation, allows the contractor to make design innovations that save taxpayers money, lessens the environmental impact of the project, and minimizes driving delays for motorists.
After a comprehensive selection process, NCDOT contracted with the Design-Build Team of Flatiron Constructors, Inc. / Blythe Development Company Joint Venture and HDR Engineering, Inc. in September 2016 to complete the final design and construct the project. Since that time, initial soil testing and survey work have begun, targeting groundbreaking in Fall 2017. The $99.2 million project will include the following work:
- Remove and replace the existing roadway pavement
- Modernize the entrance and exit ramps
- Remove and replace 9 vehicular bridges and 2 pedestrian bridges
- Lengthen the acceleration and deceleration lanes between ramps
- Widen existing roadway shoulders and add new shoulders
- Build portions of a multi-use path from Lockland Avenue to Liberty Street
As shown on the project map, the Design-Build Team will construct the project in four segments, A, B, C and D.